Between 8,000 and 1,000 BC the earliest know historical occupants were Native Americans, one tribe being the Tonkawa. The Tonkawa followed the buffalo on foot, worked with flint, and would occasionally burn the prairie to assist with their hunts. In the 1700’s AD the Tonkawa moved to using horses for transportation and had limited access to firearms. Other tribes that also lived in the area included the Kiowa, Mayeye, and Yojuane, along with early Anglo settlements. By the late 1850’s Native American’s were being pushed out by white settlers, and the Comanches had migrated into the area raiding the settlements into the late 1800’s.
In 1848, Jacob M. Harrell established a blacksmith shop on the north bank of Brushy Creek. In 1851, the first postmaster, Thomas C. Oatts was appointed and needed to submit a name for the town. Mr. Oatts at first named the town Brushy Creek, but in August 1854 Mr. Oatts and Mr. Harrell, on request of the Post Office, changed the name to Round Rock, after the famous rock that was part of the Chisholm Trail.
After the Civil War Jesse Chisholm began moving cattle from South Texas, to Abilene, Kansas. Along the path the cattle would pass thru Round Rock, crossing over the large round, anvil-shaped rock that marked a low water crossing. People would use the marker as a convenient place for cattle, horses, and wagons to cross the creek along their travels. This rock as mentioned above would eventually be the source of the new towns name.
From 1843 to 1883 Round Rock grew, expanding to have a gristmill, a hotel, wool-carding factory, cotton gin, Masonic Lodge, the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and eventually the International-Great Northern Railroad would lay tracks a short-distance from town. This would lead the community to expand, moving to the other side of town. Since that time Round Rock has expanding in all directions between “Old Town” and “New Round Rock”. Numerous businesses would continue to open in town, including a broom factory, a lime plant, several hotels, and a couple of newspapers (Round Rock Leader).
The most famous person to come to Round Rock in 1878 was Sam Bass, a wanted outlaw for his train robbing activities. On July 19th of that year the Texas Rangers would finally track him down in Round Rock. The Rangers had tracked Bass and his gang from Fort Worth, and during an attempt to flee, he was shot and killed by Ranger Sergeant Richard Ware, and Ranger George Herold. During the gunfight the community lost Sheriff Deputy A. W. Grimes, after which the boulevard in town is dedicated to.
Today Round Rock looks completely different from its small-town beginnings. Round Rock is home to over 119,000 people. Industries include several computer-related businesses, retail, education, medical, and hospitality. Those who do not work locally travel to other businesses in the Greater Austin area, but always come home each night to their beloved community.
Making Sure Your Home is Safe
We have the experience you are looking for when it comes to locating a Round Rock Residential Electrician.
It goes without saying, that when it comes to electrical services in your home, you do not want to take chances with a DIY plan or an inexperienced electrician. At Brighthouse Electric we understand the need for excellence in our line of work. Not only are we licensed and experienced, but we go above and beyond to check and double-check our work and the electrical wiring of your home.
Looking for an Round Rock Residential Electrician?
What sets us apart from other electricians serving Round Rock is our focus on punctuality, respect, and safety standards. With COVID-19, the bar has been raised even higher when it comes to keeping you and your family safe. We always arrive with a face mask on and hand sanitizer in our pocket. Call us today at 512-876-2269, and allow us to service your electrical needs.
Residential and Commercial Electrical Services
The services we provide Round Rock, include, but are not limited to:
- Electrical installation, and maintenance of 220-volt circuits for stoves, ranges, electric dryers, hot tubs, spas, and more.
- Ceiling Fan Installation.
- GFCI Installation for bathrooms, kitchens, garages, and exterior outlets.
- Extensive addition and remodeling services to meet all your electrical needs: light fixtures, ceiling fans, electrical panels, receptacles, switches, and more.
- Electrical maintenance service to include inspection, testing & maintenance.
- Whole home surge protection for your electrical devices, appliances, air conditioner, and more from random power spikes that could lead to damage.
- Safety inspection, evaluation, and report.
- Home electrical inspections for buyers and sellers.
- Interior and exterior, and security lighting installation, and wiring.
- Energy-efficient and environmentally-friendly LED lighting upgrades.
- Panel repair, replacement, and upgrades.
- Installation of smoke, and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Testing, and troubleshooting of all your electrical problems to quickly identify and resolve them for your family or business.
For more information and services we provide in the Round Rock area, visit our Electrical Services Page.
Our Round Rock Electricians are licensed, bonded, and insured and service the following zip codes in Round Rock: 78634, 78664, 78665, 78680, 78681, 78682, 78683, 78717, and 78728.